The user nickname (labeled as username) can be modified in the user profile. This is problematic insofar as user managers can modify this username an instinctively think that they actually modified the user authentication.
- The nickname (username) is rendered read-only in the user profile, also for usermanagers and administrators.
- In the Authentications tab a new form is added to change the users nickname
- When modifying the nickname to a value that does not exist as an authentication token, a warning shall be displayed that this might be wrong.
- Modifying of the user nick name must only be possible for the users who can also modify the users authentication username (admin)
- A context help button in the authentication tab is added to explain what the nickname / username and authentication is all about.
The advantage is that visually it becomes clear that the nickname and the login name are two separate things and that renaming one does not necessary lead to the change of the other.